Santa Photo

December 8, 2009

Here is our Santa photo from the base Christmas party. It was a bit of a bust as Isaac refused to nap all morning. He was an absolute screaming mess when we left the house. We weren’t even going to go to the party, but home wasn’t working as Isaac was crying no matter what we tried. We figured a change of scenery might help, and at the very least a car ride would knock him out. Sure enough he got into his car seat, downed his milk and fell asleep. He was still asleep by the time we got to the base so I went in to sign-in and pick up his gift. By the time I was on my way back to the car he’d woken up so he and Jay came in. Needless to say, Isaac was a little subdued and still very tired, so he wouldn’t go to Santa for the photo. So instead you get an honest (if not perfect) family photo. Jason and I are still wearing our coats. Isaac’s pants are half way up his legs (at least his socks matched!!); it’s actually a miracle we’re all looking at the camera. But here it is our 2009 Santa Photo in all it’s glory.


Play silks

December 5, 2009

I decided to make some play silks for Isaac for Christmas.

“Psst. Have you heard about playsilks? Playsilks are one of the most open-ended, imaginative “toys” available.   Our children use playsilks as dresses, scarves, hats, veils, skirts, shirts, belts, baby doll blankets and slings, streamers, flags, stretchers, handcuffs, peek-a-boo blankets, props for dancing, forts, tents and houses.”

I ordered some ‘blanks’ from the Dharma Trading Company. I bought 6 of the white 35″ x 35″, 2 of the 44″ x 44″, and one black 21.5″ x 21.5″ (they were out of stock of the larger sizes in black at the time); all 8mm Habotai scarves. I also got one 8″ x 52″ scarf free with my order as a  new customer bonus.

blank silks

I used this tutorial to dye the silks with wilton cake dye. I bought a four pack of primary colours (sky blue, lemon yellow, christmas red, and brown) as well as a royal blue.

using Wilton icing dye

Above are the sky blue and the christmas red…looks promising doesn’t it. I was really happy with the all of the wilton dye except for the red….it just didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. I was looking for a vibrant red (think superman cape) and after the first dye I got this.

more orange than red...and spotty

It was more orange than anything, and the red dye didn’t dissolve as well as the others so it resulted in blotches. I tried to fix it using red food colouring and got 80s neon pink.

so not superman red

I was pretty disappointed. The next day I stopped on my way home and picked up some cherry kool-aid (three packs) and finally got the colour I wanted.

Finally red (with a few light spots)

I used kool-aid to dye the orange scarf and the second red one (tropical punch this time and only two packs, but it was a smaller scarf). Here is the final result. I dyed the dark green one twice to get a more intense colour. I left the brown light, but if I had another scarf I would have made a second one and dyed it twice for a darker hue.  I am pretty pleased and can’t wait to give them to Isaac at Christmas.

the finished results